Army Dad

An ignorant Dad's (and maybe Mom's too) view of the Army...

24 September 2006

Not Even a Week...

I asked my wife today if it seems like Patrick's been gone for much longer than the six days its' been. Her answer was just as I expected, "It seems like he's been gone forever." Now while he's a bit of a homebody he has been away from home before, a week here and there, last summer he spent a month in Germany. And that whole month didn't seem as long as these past six days. I think I know why. Its' because we know that he won't ever be back again under the same circumstances. When he comes home next, hopefully at Christmas-time, it will be for a visit. Just like when he went to Germany for a VISIT. His childhood home is where he comes for a visit now. And that is what is hard to adjust to.

He called a couple of more times this week. Very Cool! First time was on Tuesday from Reception. He thought he'd be in reception for several more days, maybe a week. He sounded more at ease but bored with Reception. He wanted to get the show on the road. He said he'd hopefully call us this weekend. Next call came Thursday night. I picked up my wife's cell (she has a case of laryngitis and can barely croak or whisper) and hear a hurried "pickup Pickup PICKUP". "Dad I only have a minute or so, I'm shipping out for Basic tonight." We had a 30 second conversation, he voice was hurried, tense, excited and ready to get on with it. He talked to his Mom for a few seconds, she managed to croak out an "I Love You."...and he was on his way.

It seems like forever and its' not even a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home