Army Dad

An ignorant Dad's (and maybe Mom's too) view of the Army...

30 September 2006

Another Phone Call...

Donna came zooming into the living room, her voice animated, if still a bit raspy. "Its' Patrick", she mouthed. She continued talking and asking and asking more and...being a Mom. Part of my brain was extremely happy he was calling and a small, dark corner was saying- "Its' Thursday night, you can't call from BCT on Thursday night!". Donna and Patrick continued to talk, I sat waiting my turn, trying to be cool and patient. Donna asked if he had a time limit, "Nope!". She asked if he'd been issued his weapon, "I have an M-16 strapped on my back!" he replied proudly. They talked about the dogs, Donna told him that they missed him, she asked about sending pictures, all the little questions and comments that have been bottled up for close to two weeks.

By now I was getting a bit antsy, awaiting my turn.

"Are you there Bud?" a long pause. "Do you have to go??"..."Are you in trouble?"..."I Love You!" CLICK.

I didn't get a chance to talk to Patrick tonight. That's OK. The last time he called, Donna's voice had left for a several days due to laryngitis, she could barely squeak out "I love you". But I had SO MANY questions, a load of glib Dad comments, quasi-insights and other Dad stuff I wanted to say to him.

The hard part is that we don't know if he's in trouble (I've not heard of phone privileges on a Thursday evening in BCT), we just don't know. Its' been said by many others, the NOT KNOWING is the hard part! I spent 18 years as the Dad, doing my best to know what he was up to, occasionally turning a blind eye, trusting that he would be home that night, the next day, but being able to have knowledge, impart my so-called wisdom, to be a Dad and to KNOW what was going on. Tonight Patrick is 1000+ miles away, we won't know the story of what happened tomorrow, or probably not the next day or the next day or... I don't know if he's in trouble and it is very unsettling.

To those of you with deployed family- I admire you immensely. How you contend with the not knowing is beyond me! Perhaps its' an acquired skill, but it sure isn't a skill I have yet!

PS- Due to problems with our internet connection I didn't get this post up last night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again...I left my last comment as anonymous this time I am from ArmyMom web site (best place other then this site) It is a new and very differnt life, you learn as they go...I receive letters all the time now from Alan who is in Ga. and ready to graduate in 24 more days. Yes you will start the count down thing we all do. Alan is OSUT at Benning so he has been gone since July 12th. They do MAJOR changes and alot of growing up. Alan has even seen the spiritual side and still see's that. You will get some mail because the DS's (drill sgts) remind them to keep us informed so we don't call in a panic...hehe..Have you been to the Tribute page ?? http://www.projo.com/extra/terror/tribute/
We all have ups and downs.part of the Army way....But your site is great I love reading it......

15:25  
Blogger Army Dad said...

Toni-

Thanks for the kind words! Letters come pretty steady from Patrick now.

I can just imagine how excited you must be with the days winding down to Graduation! Keep me posted. My nephew went through BCT at Benning. Good for Alan. Is he Airborne?

Major changes for sure... a whole new tone in his voice and Patrick too has found the spiritual side of life. We started a new and awesome church just before he left for BCT...we're happy he is continuing to attend church!

I haven't been to the Tribute page but am on my way now. Thanks for the tip!

And again, thanks for the kind words!

00:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Alan is upfront and going to be personal with the Infantry Front Line...Yikes!!..But thats what he wants and feels is his calling. Since being in OSUT Alan has read the entire Bible and the Torah...Bible he got a bigger one at the PX the Torah I mailed to him. Yes I have all my maps, reservations, details for all ready to go....22 more days. Patrick will like the food for now but as time goes on he will start missing the 'JUNK' food, as in fast food and candy items that they do not get at all. Have a good one.

09:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home