Army Dad

An ignorant Dad's (and maybe Mom's too) view of the Army...

02 October 2006

Sunday!

This post has had a bunch of titles so far, at least in my head! I'll list them and explain them because they are all relevant, they all describe the call and my mood.

Titles...
48m55s
What a Day
Some Days Are Diamonds...
A Phone Call



OK. lets break 'em down-

48m55s- that is how long I talked to my son Sunday! Just short of an hour- fantastic & weird! I can't remember the last time he and I talked that long in one stretch! I had so many questions in my brain, and forgot a bunch of them.

What a Day- Some days are WAY better than others, Sunday was just such a day! A day that in the BCT scheme of things will be hard to beat. Even if he has the chance to talk that long again this was a special call because it did so much to ease my mind.

Some Days Are Diamonds... This is a great John Denver song- and today was a DIAMOND! Give it a listen. I think that those who have kids in Basic or have had kids in Basic, or at any point in a military career will be able to relate to it!

Another Phone Call- the underlying reason behind this post!

OK, now for the details- Both my wife and myself got to speak to Patrick today! My wife was "there" and I was "here". She got her call while out shopping. My daughter's Homecoming is next weekend and after all, that is BIG. It requires some serious shopping! Patrick called me right after he talked to Mom.

Phone rang, area code looked like Patrick's- I pick up, there on the phone was my son! His voice was raspy and he had a runny nose. We talked for damned near an hour. I had a LOT of questions! Patrick had a LOT of answers. He sounds very at ease with what he is doing. I told him he was more homesick than I thought he'd be and he replied "Me too". As a parent it felt good in a selfish way to hear that! It also sounded like the tidal wave of homesick has ebbed. It hurt to hear his voice on the edge of emotion when we'd talk before...it hurt a lot. Now he has a confident tone in his voice.

He's rappelled and enjoyed it. Upon a wee bit of pushing by the old man he admitted it was a bit scary at first. He's got his Battle Buddy, is very happy with him and says that "really they are all my battle buddies". I like the 'tude!

The food is good. That has to be big to these guys. A bunch of young males, mostly teenagers, working their butts off, you can bet good food would be BIG!

They will start training with their weapon this week. Qualifying on his weapon concerned him a bit, but I am confident he'll do fine. Patrick's shot with me before so he doesn't have any apprehension about guns, he's comfortable and very respectful around them. BUT he hasn't shot enough to learn bad habits that he will have to un-learn.

I think he said they were doing First Aid today (Monday). That will be interesting. Patrick is not the blood and guts type.

Patrick said he hasn't rec'd any of our letters yet. That surprised me, but I'm sure he'll get them soon, and a steady stream from then on.

We talked about as lot...It was so good to just talk!

This Sunday was as good as a day can be...Church in the AM, great sermon (new Church for us), fantastic weather, Mom and Kelly went to our little nephew's soccer game, followed by some shopping and tanning (remember- Homecoming is next weekend). A good simple dinner. After dinner I retired to the back patio for a brew or two, stoked up the fire-pit, lit a cigar and enjoyed a perfect Sunday night!

Simply Awesome!

Sorry, this post is a stream of consciousness kinda thing...it was that kind of day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home